Friday, December 5, 2008

Real Women, Real Saints


I requested Real Women, Real Saints to review since I am drawn to women saints and was hoping this would introduce me to some unknowns; I was not disappointed.
Gina Loehr (the author) divided the book into eight chapters - women of faith, hope, charity, providence, justice, fortitude,temperance and a chapter devoted to Mary, Mother of God. She included not only saints but also those on the road to beatification (blesseds and venerables). Each woman's biography began with her name, years of birth and death (if known), status in life (ie: wife, mother, religious, martyr, incorruptible, etc), feast day and patronage followed by one to two pages of information.
I happened to read the book in one sitting while waiting for my daughter to complete a chemistry lab but ideally I think one or two entries should be read each day in order to have more time to focus on each woman's life. This book would be great for Confirmation candidates looking for a patron saint. The book includes well knowns such as St. Joan of Arc, lesser knowns like St Lucy and ones I'd never heard of - St. Rafqua Pietra Choboq Ar-Rayes. I plan to go back to this book in the future to help me choose a few saints about whom I want to learn more.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book Reviewer program from The Catholic Company

No comments: