Thursday, May 7, 2009

Testimony

I received my copy of Testimony compliments of Hachette Book Group.



Testimony is the story of a sex scandal caught on videotape at an elite high school. While the headmaster is trying to deal with the situation and the students, the images become public and the police are brought into the picture.
I have to admit I almost threw Testimony aside because of the graphic descriptions of the video images. I struggled through to the next chapter since I had really enjoyed The Pilot's Wife (also written by Shreve). While the steamy scenes didn't resurface to quite the same level, there was still some unnecessary description (I guess there's a reason I read mostly Christian fiction).

Overall I enjoyed the story even when I wanted to wring the necks of characters for their stupid choices. My difficulty in reading Testimony was the continual change of voice; chapters were from the point of view of many characters which I found confusing at times.

I would give this four stars but for the obscene first chapter; for that I have to drop it to three stars. I would not recommend this book for those that mostly read Christian fiction.

No comments: