Monday, February 28, 2011

While the World Watched


While the World Watched by Carolyn Maull McKinstry is not only the story of 1963 bombing of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama but even more so it's a autobiography of a young girl coming of age in a time of racial unrest (and that word is an understatement)in the South.

While the World Watched was not only informative in giving me insight into a time of which I knew little but it was also thought provoking and heart wrenching to hear about Carolyn's life. I cried with her as her friends died and I rejoiced with her in her forgiveness of the murderers.

Overall this book is excellent and should be on high school readings lists for those studying the Civil Rights Movement. I will be sharing this book with my own teens.

Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of While the World Watched.

No comments: