Monday, March 10, 2014

Highway to Hell




About the book: 
A child is sold for sex every ten miles on Brazil's BR-116 motorway. This 2,700-mile road is "The Highway to Hell" for the thousands of children, some as young as nine, who are trapped in sophisticated child prostitution rackets organized by businessmen and politicians.

An experienced journalist, Matt Roper has witnessed the extent of the trafficking firsthand. Highway to Hell documents his journey on this road. He meets the girls and hears their stories; he interviews truck drivers, pimps, brothel owners, and traffickers; and he talks to the brave souls who are trying to make a difference.

Part documentary, part personal memoir, Matt honestly shares his struggles to understand what his Christian faith has to say about the things he encounters and how God wants him to respond.

My Thoughts:
     I thought I would love this book, not that the subject matter is anything to love but I thought it would be a captivating story of how one man discovered the travesty of child prostitution and came to the rescue of hundreds of young girls. 
     On one hand Matt Roper did learn much about the devastation of child prostitution along a Brazilian highway and he did start a foundation that is rescuing girls from this destructive lifestyle but it just didn't captivate me.
     Despite the less than stellar writing style, I would still recommend Highway to Hell as I had no idea this was happening in Brazil as I suppose it is happening in more places than we want to imagine.

This book was provided to me by Kregel Publications; I received no monetary compensation for my honest review

No comments: