Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Girls of August


About the BookEvery August, four women would gather together to spend a week at the beach, renting a new house each year. The ritual began when they were in their twenties and their husbands were in medical school, and became a mainstay of every summer thereafter. Their only criteria was oceanfront and isolation, their only desire to strengthen their far-flung friendships. They called themselves the Girls of August. But when one of the Girls dies tragically, the group slowly drifts apart and their vacations together are brought to a halt. Years later, a new marriage reunites them and they decide to come together once again on a remote barrier island off the South Carolina coast. There, far from civilization, the women make startling discoveries that will change them in ways they never expected.

My Thoughts: The Girls of August was an easy summer read but not a top notch book. I felt that the story was too contrived. WHY would these women go on vacation with this newcomer when their tradition had always been as long time friends? It just didn't make sense to me. The three friends treated Babe worse than a pesky toddler; I felt they were taking advantage of her for the free use of the beach house.  I also felt like I was left hanging with the ending; I need to know more in order to feel satisfied with the story lines.

I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy available via NetGalley. 

1 comment:

RAnn said...

My thoughts exactly!