Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Inconvenient Adventures of Uncle Chestnut



Written for young readers, The Inconvenient Adventures of Uncle Chestnut contains 4 short stories told by Jack, whose Uncle Chestnut comes to take care of him while his parents are away. Whether traveling, chasing after hats, or embarking on everyday adventures, Uncle Chestnut teaches a unique perspective on life and the world to his nephew.

Based on the writings and actual events in the life of Gilbert Keith Chesterton,this work of fiction presents the wit and wisdom of the British writer in a considerably easier style for young people to read. It is a simple, fun approach to introducing G.K. Chesterton to readers of all ages, and teaches the value of seeing everyday obstacles as exciting and unique adventures.

"The idea behind Uncle Chestnut, a fictional version of G.K. Chesterton, was to present him in a way that could be enjoyed even by children, or provide a brief introduction for adults," said author Paul Nowak. "My hope is that by putting him in a more modern setting, retelling funny stories from his works and his life, blending it with his insight and telling the story from a child's perspective this book will make Chesterton more accessible and introduce him to a wider audience."

My Review:
This book may be written for young readers but it's also for the young at heart. My eldest daughter (17 yrs old) has been reading Chesterton but it seemed too deep for me especially for summer reading. So I jumped when this book became available for review from Bostick Communications.
Simply put - I love this book and look forward to more in the series! I plan to read the stories aloud to my 9 and 10 year old children as part of their homeschooling this year to expose them to the writings of Chesterton. I may even raid my daughter's bookcase to read Chesterton himself (if she doesn't take all her books to college).
One of my favorite quotes from the book "When someone does work for pay, they must give it their best. But when raising her children, a woman in her home gives her all."
Be sure to visit UncleChestnut for more info about the book as well as to sign up for daily Chesterton quotes; I did.

No comments: