Monday, November 9, 2009

AHG serving Manna House

Today American Heritage Girls Troop AL0408 fed the hungry by helping at the Manna House in Huntsville.


We had girls ranging in age from 5 to 13 plus moms and some brothers. The girls made bologna sandwiches as well as packaging fruit, bread and desserts.


After working hard for over an hour, we were given a tour of the facility. In addition to serving hot meals 3x a week and sending folks home with sandwiches and other food, the Manna House also provides clothing for emergency foster care situations as well as working folks, sends children home with backpacks of food for the weekend when there is no school breakfast/lunch, provides school supplies and other necessities as the need arises in our community. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the things they do for our community. And it's all done with 100% donations and grants - they accept no government money. Just last year they got grant $$ from American Idol. When Fran sent them a thank you letter, they ended up doubling the $$. Thanks American Idol for helping to feed the hungry in my community.,


Theresa is to the left of this pic with her hand ready to go up. I am looking forward to returning to Manna House on Saturday with Abigail's Confirmation class.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome day!! Soo thrilled to see the girls learn about our community in action and being a part of it is what they're doing!! :)
Tara

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

What a great opportunity! I always want to do things with my kids and I never know how...and when I do, I'm too chicken. Gotta work on that.