Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Dog Named Slugger

The heartwarming true story of Slugger, author Leigh Brill's trained service dog, who transformed Brill's college years as she struggled with congenital cerebral palsy. Brill is now a counselor and motivational speaker involved in the service dog community. She travels with Slugger's successor, Kendie.  In the tradition of Marley & Me, and Dewey the Library Cat.
My Thoughts: As I've said in the past few reviews about dog focused books, I am not a dog person but I am a former special ed teacher and I worked in college as personal assistant for a student with CP so this book intrigued me. While I was aware that service dogs existed, I was not familiar with all the tasks they could do from picking up dropped objects to assisting in balance going up stairs or curbs.

I'd like to thank the publisher for making a review copy of A Dog Named Slugger available via NetGalley.

No comments: