Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Rediscover Lent

For Lent, I chose to give up time consuming Facebook games in order to spend more time on spiritual reading and prayer. I was glad to have Rediscover Lent in my 'to-be-read' basket ready and waiting for my use.

Rediscover Lent grabbed me from the Introduction; Kelly let the reader know that this Lenten devotional would be about the seven pillars of Catholic spirituality - exactly what I needed for Lent. The seven pillars are Confession, daily prayer, the Mass, the Bible, fasting, spiritual reading and the Rosary. Definitely serious stuff for serious consideration but presented in a non-threatening manner.

Each day starts with the Readings for daily Mass although you will need to take out your Bible or as I did have them delivered to your email box each morning. The Sunday Readings are listed for all three cycles. There is then a page or two of reflection, followed by questions on which to meditate and a prayer.

Upon flipping through the book, I discovered in the Notes section that the reflections in Rediscover Lent were taken from Rediscover Catholicism by Kelly. I recently received a copy of that title and plan to read it during the Easter season to expand on what I "discover" during Lent.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Rediscover Lent. They are also a great source for a baptism gifts or first communion gifts.

No comments: