Monday, February 18, 2013

Observing Lent

Lent is season that sneaks up on me most years and this year is no different. I always have the idea to make grand plans and follow through but rarely do. Folks talk about what they are giving up - I'm no good at that. Of course this year I am giving up things without having a choice - I am losing my Pope, a wise and spiritual friend lost her battle with lung cancer on Ash Wednesday and in two weeks I'll be having surgery.
Like most Catholics, we don't eat meat on Fridays but since we make that sacrifice year round it's not something extra. Our parish was generous and gave all of us The Little Black Book which is an easy way to do spiritual reading. Earlier this year I started reading a bit of the Catechism and Scripture each day - definitely days I fall down but I haven't stopped the email reminders. I'm trying to cut back on eating between meals and I had planned to start exercising again but this past week was tech week for a show (I'm the producer) and I had no energy. Once the show ends, I only have a short time until surgery and then I"ll be laid up for a week or so. Thankfully I was offered the opportunity to read and review Deeply Loved: 40 Ways in 40 Days to Experience the Heart of Jesus (even available in Kindle) so I now have new spiritual reading for Lent.



Here are some meatless recipes to try this Lent: Tangy Peanut Soup, Southwestern Pasta, Mac and Cheese, Taco Lentils and Rice, and other simple ideas.

2 comments:

Sue a Skirted Lady said...

Renee,
So sorry to hear you need surgery! What day will it be? I'll put it on my calendar to pray you through it. Yes, it sounds like your Lent is set up for real sacrifices, which I think is more beneficial than just giving up chocolate anyway. That sounds like a good book. I'm looking forward to your review. I'm reading aloud to the girls the new 40 Days for Life book which is also set up for a reading a day during Lent. It's full of awesome stories.
God bless you!
Sue

Renee said...

March 6th Sue.... thank you